Job Descriptions

In my last role as a salon receptionist, the job description played a significant role in influencing my decision to apply. The description outlined responsibilities such as greeting clients, managing appointments, handling phone calls, and ensuring the smooth operation of the salon. These were tasks I had experience with from my previous roles in similar settings.

Once on the job, I found that my experience aligned closely with the job description. I was adept at managing busy schedules, coordinating with stylists, and providing excellent customer service. However, there were some aspects of the job that weren’t explicitly mentioned in the description, such as handling unexpected situations like a client arriving late or dealing with last-minute appointment changes. These instances required quick thinking and problem-solving skills, which I was able to develop further on the job.

Overall, my experience as a salon receptionist closely mirrored the job description, but there were nuances and challenges that I encountered on the job that weren’t explicitly outlined. However, my prior experience equipped me with the skills and adaptability to handle these situations effectively.

2 responses to “Job Descriptions”

1. Marley Samuel Avatar
    Marley Samuel

Hi Tess!

When I am looking for a job my strategy is to skim the descriptions and apply to any that seem interesting. Your approach is a bit different. You actually read the job description, which is great. That probably gives you a really good idea about what the job is. I think job descriptions often sugar coat the job responsibilities, but it’s a good idea to read them if you get chosen for an interview. That way you are going in knowing what is expected of you for the job. It also makes it easier to anticipate what questions the interviewers will ask and how they want you to respond.

2. Michael Jose Valdez Avatar
    Michael Jose Valdez

Hey Tess,

Nice job. It is interesting to see this perspective because my job came through a temp agency and the description was basically non existent. It’s neat to see how the description had a significant impact on your decision for applying for the job. I will be looking at the job description for my next job and hopefully it will match with the actual work.