Job Application Experiences

During last term’s College of Business career fair, I spoke with a company that resonated with me, which is why I was eager to accept their invitation to interview. After the recruiting manager asked for my availability to schedule a phone interview, they gave me a date almost a month away. I felt disappointed because I wanted the interview to take place while the excitement was still fresh, and it made me believe that there were many people also interviewing for the same position.

Once the day came a little over 3 weeks later, I woke up early to prepare possible answers and freshen up my memory of the company. Finally, my phone rang and I was immediately taken aback by the interviewer’s lack of enthusiasm. I felt like I was being a burden, even though they were the ones who wanted me to interview. A couple of questions and many awkward silences later, the interview concluded and I felt defeated. It wasn’t surprising to see an email a day later saying they thanked me for my time but were pursuing other candidates.

Overall, I know that my individual experience isn’t enough to say that this company is “bad”, but it definitely tainted my perception of them. I believe that everything happens for a reason and I’m looking forward to other opportunities.

5 responses to “Job Application Experiences”

1. Stefanie Thelin Avatar
    Stefanie Thelin

Tess,

I find it surprising that you are interested in one of the companies at the career fair. Personally, I haven’t found any of the options appealing. This might be because I have a specific career path in mind for after graduation or because I’m considering jobs in the private or federal government sectors.

It’s not unexpected that they scheduled the interview a month after the career fair, considering the large number of students they interacted with during that time. However, like you, I would have preferred the interview to be closer to the fair when the excitement is high and they remember you better.

I was a bit taken aback by the interviewer’s manner during the call. It seemed like they weren’t enthusiastic about their job, which raised red flags for me. It made me wonder about the company culture and whether they respect the people they interview and hire. This experience has made me question whether this is a company worth pursuing further, and I hope you have better luck in the future.

Stefanie

2. Michael Valdez Avatar
    Michael Valdez

Hey Tess,
    Sorry to hear your experience wasn’t better. It was a good perspective though about wanting to hear back while it was still fresh. I am sure there are bigger and better things in store.

3. Charles Mossiat Avatar
    Charles Mossiat

Hi tess

I too have had expierences like this. Sometimes they arent what we expect, however, good on you for pushing through, keep on trying.

4. Makenna Bartfeld Avatar
    Makenna Bartfeld

Tess,
    I am so sorry you had a bad experience with that company! It just goes to show that it wasn’t a right fit and that something better will come in the future. If that was your first impression of the company you just know deep down you will find a better place in the long run!

5. noah ochs Avatar
    noah ochs

Tess,
    I’m really sorry to hear about your less-than-ideal experience with that company’s interview process. It sounds like it was a real letdown after feeling so excited about the potential opportunity.

It’s completely understandable to feel disappointed when things don’t go as smoothly as you’d hoped, especially after eagerly anticipating the interview for so long. The delay in scheduling and the lackluster enthusiasm from the interviewer must have been really disheartening.

But hey, don’t let this one experience sour your outlook on future opportunities. Sometimes, things just don’t click with certain companies or roles, and that’s okay. It doesn’t necessarily reflect on your abilities or worth as a candidate. It’s all part of the journey to finding the right fit for you.