Reflecting Capstone Phase 2

As we are approaching the end of the development phase in this second senior capstone class, I wanted to take a moment and look back to when I was first selecting different projects before being assigned to a group. When I was picking several options in my first senior capstone class, I wasn’t sure what project I wanted to take on. My first choice was Dating App for Animal Adoption because I love animals and I always wanted to learn how to make a great, professional looking web application. Eventually, I was assigned to that group, and I couldn’t be happier.

After successfully being assigned to this group, my concern was with my knowledge of the frontend since I never had a lot of exposure with CSS. My intro to web development class covered the basics of frontend while it focused heavily on the backend. This concern of mine quickly disappeared after the first phase of development from this quarter because I have a couple of very skilled web developers that have a lot of experience with the frontend. They utilized an amazing bootstrap code that allowed them to quickly implement a very professional looking website. I had no idea what bootstrapping was at that time, and I have learned about all the benefits of using this method. I still haven’t had an opportunity to implement bootstrapping code as I have no experience with it and my time is very tight this quarter, but I am planning on learning how to bootstrap once this quarter concludes.

Additionally, my other concern was syncing a database to the project. I attempted to do this after my intro to web development class a while back but had no luck. This was due to not having a good knowledge of Amazon’s protocols when implementing a database along with my project. Again, my teammate was able to do this all by himself and I am extremely impressed with his skill. Now, our website has both a beautiful frontend as well as a powerful backend code that retrieves animals from the database. I supercharged the website functionality by implementing the filter and sort option which was the toughest task I had to do in the second phase of this senior capstone class. My perseverance and hard work allowed me to meet my goal and I am very impressed with our team’s progress with the Dating App for Animal Adoption web application. My team’s progress has exceeded my expectations. I am looking forward to the third and last phase of the senior capstone class!