Last Week of Phase I

As I am approaching the end of the quarter, I have learned so much as a student in the Senior Capstone class. My team is implementing a web application for shelter animals that are looking for a forever home. The web application will be packed with features, and it took some time and research to plan out the roadmap to the final solution. Here, I will be sharing some of the cool features that I learned from my teammates during our weekly meetings over Microsoft Teams.

Since we are implementing a React-based application, I learned that React is a very flexible, yet powerful interface that programmers can use to optimize the web application. One example is bootstrapping the application, which I wish I knew of this approach a long time ago. Bootstrapping is basically implementing templates that are already premade to speed up the development process, which I believe is critical for this Senior Capstone project. When I took web development, I had to create everything with my own code, which was time consuming and limited the aesthetic of the application. Bootstrapping takes care of this by having templates that are open sourced and free to use. Since I have experience with web development, there was no problem adjusting the bootstrap code so that the web application would look like what I expected it to be. Bootstrapping saved my team a lot of time and it is very flexible while providing professional-looking templates for our team to use.  

The second cool feature that I learned is Firebase, which is Google’s own product that can do many things for web applications. We are currently using Firebase to host our website, which is new to me. Previously, I have used Amazon Web Services which was not very user-friendly and cost money to use. Firebase is free to use, and it offers a lot of powerful features that would fill in the requirements that were needed for our web application like authentication and testing etc. Prior to this class, I was no stranger to authentication and testing, but I remember that it was not very user-friendly when I first learned how to implement those features. I am grateful to Google for making their product so easy to use and it has been a seamless experience for our team while offering exceptional support and receiving live-time feedback when implementing any code to our web application. Lastly, I really appreciate one of the features of Firebase that analyzes our web application for security and performance, which is one of our goals when implementing the Dating App for Animal Adoption. I am looking forward to the next quarter when we will be doing more of the implementation of our web application and making it look professional!