Home is where Ohana is

My previous blog posts have mainly been about my journey in life, school, and work. But I want to introduce to you all the ones who give my life value and meaning. And that is of course my family.

Pictured from top left to bottom right:
Gina Shim, Spencer Shim, Cookie Shim, and Monster Shim

I want to dedicate a post to my family, because no matter how difficult of a day or week I might have, they are always there to support me and make me happy.

First, let me introduce my wife, Gina. We met over a decade ago at church in 2010, and we have been married for 8 wonderful blessed years. She currently works as a clinical director in her field (applied behavior analysis), and I couldn’t be more proud of her and her accomplishments. She is a wonderful cook, and she knows that good food is the key to my heart. (She has kept me well fed for the past 10 years, and I have probably put on tens of pounds since we first met.) If it wasn’t for her encouragement to keep pushing for my academics, I would not be where I am today, and I also would not be in Oregon State’s computer science program.

We have two beautiful furry children, Monster and Cookie. Monster is a poodle maltese mix. However, we have no clue what kind of dog Cookie is.

Monster is a very intelligent dog (most likely due to his poodle side). He picks up learning tricks right away. He is also very emotionally intelligent and in tune, as he can sense when we are in a certain mood, such as stressed, sad, happy, etc. He is also a very grumpy stubborn dog, as he is getting up there in age. He has recently turned 10 years old. But whenever I come home from a stressed day of work, he is the first to greet me and comfort me. He is what I would call my “favorite”. Do parents really not have a favorite child? Because I do…

Cookie on the other hand is a very simple lovable dog. He is not that smart or bright, but he will win your heart over easily. He LOVES food, and will do anything to get his paws and mouth on some food. He reminds me of Rolly (the chubby dog) from the 101 Dalmatians movie. As long as you have food, Cookie will be your best friend. Cookie loves to cuddle with anybody (and any dog). He is easily a favorite when we have guests in our home.

At the end of the day, no matter what I have been through at work, school, or my personal life, I can count of my family to be a great source of comfort to me. They are my rock, and I would do anything for them.