Really Week1 of CS 467

And so it begins… Even though we are already nearing the end of week 3 of 10 in my Online Capstone Project class (CS 467), it really feels like we are only just entering the beginnings of this class.

With the first few weeks of the course preparing us in choosing teams and projects, our team was finally able to officially meet for the first time last week. Our first task as a group was to build a project plan. Given that this is pretty much my first real group project in an academic setting to build an app from scratch, this project plan ended up being much more intricate and elaborate than I initially thought.

We have three people in this group (including myself), and we all have different ideas and directions in order to build our crowd-sourced shopping app. However in the end, we decided to have one member of our group to take the leadership role in planning the high level architecture of how our app is going to be built. I personally am the type of person who does not like to insert myself in a leadership position, so I was definitely okay with someone else taking the lead. Sometimes, I find it easier to have a leader making final decisions.

While building our project plan, the fear started to sink in, as I realized, “Wow, it is already almost week 3, and I have no idea how to do any of this stuff.” Our team decided to use React Native in building our app, in conjunction with building our own API to work and communicate with our database. Even though I have some basic knowledge in databases, I have zero experience using React Native or building an API.

In all honesty, I would be lying to say that I was not concerned or worried. I am experiencing a little bit of anxiety in having to learn a lot of new material in a short amount of time. But I am trying to spin it in a more positive direction. I am trying to convince myself that it would be good to get out of my comfort zone and expand my knowledge in less familiar territories. This is probably how the real world of computer science is all the time… right?

Our group was able to finish our project plan pretty recently, and I think it did help my anxiety a little bit, knowing the plan and direction we would be taking in order to tackle this project. With the project plan submitted and my tuition for this Fall term paid, there is no turning back now. Even though it is already week 3 of the class, it kind of feels like we are back at the beginning, as we finally begin learning how to build our project. I am cautiously hopeful that this will be a very important learning experience in my academics and career in computer science. Hopefully, as the weeks go by, I will feel more at ease, and my anxiousness will subside.