Week 5 – Blog Post: Typical vs. Maximal Performance 

As the business owner, I would hire Jaime. The reason is that it is harder to train someone to be consistent than to learn how to raise your performance ceiling. I believe that with consistent practice eventually, you will have a consistent high-performance ceiling. It is a nice-to-have an employee with a high-performance ceiling but it is more important to have consistent performance.  

The best job for Avery’s success is a car salesperson or really any sales type person. A sales role is a position where the day-to-day administrative work is typically minimal. Avery would only need to focus on the final sale. Essentially, Avery only needs to “perform” for the sales process.

The position that would be the best fit for Jaime is a staff accountant. Accounting is a very important department, but really not a department for high potential employees. In the accounting department, all processes need to be consistently followed.

2 responses to “Week 5 – Blog Post: Typical vs. Maximal Performance ”

1. Hi Christian. Like yourself, I would lean towards hiring Jaime more often than hiring Avery. I agree, consistency is a valuable employee trait, particularly when working in an environment where collaboration and teamwork is key to success. Both individuals have their respective pros and cons, so for me it might come down to the best individual fit for the job type.

I liked your idea of a sales position being a good job fit for Avery’s maximal performance behavior. I agree.

2. Hey Christian!
    Overall, I would have to agree with your blog! I too would rather hire Jaime than Avery and I believe you summed it up quite well! Jaime staying consistent is often times the name of the game. Whereas Avery you don’t know what you are gonna get and when you will get those high caliber days like mentioned. In terms of what jobs Avery would be a better hire than jaime, we had the same idea. I also said that a job or position where Avery can dictate how much money he makes (sales positions) then he would be a better higher as he can go above and beyond and make those larger deals happen. Overall, great blog I really enjoyed it!