Week 3 – Job Descriptions

In my current role, I can honestly say there was not a job description that could have swayed me one way or the other. I took my current position based on the person who is my boss. The role could be basket weaver and I would have still taken the position. I hope everyone at some point in their career is able to have the same business relationship. I have to step back to before my current boss and I started working together.

This role would be when I applied for and accepted a position as a project administrator within the quoting department at Furminate an oil services company. I should start by saying, I am not a person motivated by job descriptions. I have been in the working world long enough to know that what is written in a job description typically will cover fifty percent or less of what your actual role will entail. I do not have the post but will comment on it if I am able to locate the posting within my past emails.

The job description was to handle incoming new quotes for jobs to customers. The reality was that I not only handled quotes for new service needs, but I was expected to also be the customer service administrator within the sales department as well as the cost provider within the accounting department. I had a very steep learning curve being new to the oil services industry and now learning three different roles within the company. Looking back, I am grateful for the amount of knowledge I took away from that position, but I probably would not have accepted the role knowing the lack of information provided on the role. The job description was accurate if my only role was to be quoting new customer projects. However, when it came to the expectations and requirements to provide quotes the job description fell short of the intention of providing a guideline, or baseline, of the role.

My takeaway from that position was to get better at using the job description to formulate my interview questions for the hiring manager. I have also learned that never assume the job description is all you will be doing within your position.