Impact of Stress

When taking the first quiz about myself regarding how to deal with stressful situations, I learned that I am a problem-focused coping method. This made sense with the type of person I am in always trying to solve issues that are going on. I like feeling in control in most situations and always like to have things planned.

After taking the Type A test on irritability I scored a 42. It said in the description that at most times I would be considered warm and tolerant however at times I am irritable and hostile. I felt that this was a fair judgement because everyone has times where they can be set off the edge and show this character trait. This is something that I have already worked on quite a bit and will continue to work on.

Steps that I can take through my career to help me with stress is being more okay with asking for help. I typically get uncomfortable with the idea of others needing to help me however this will allow me to be more vulnerable and trusting of others.

Through researching top companies, it is clear that through the pandemic and current mental health battles that have become more well known, that companies are taking more initiative in helping employees. Amazon, for example, launched a digital mental health program in 2017 that allowed remote or in person employees to use self guided resources to aid in stress and mental health (Careers). Amazon also took action in allowing employees to stay remote following the pandemic if returning to the work environment would cause them added stress.

“Careers.” Amazon, U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, 1991, aws.amazon.com/careers/life-at-aws-prioritizing-mental-health-and-well-being-at-aws/#:~:text=In%20September%2C%20Amazon%20launched%20a,anxiety%2C%20and%20self%2Dcare.