Hello world!

Hey everyone. I am excited to work closely with my team this fall and I am looking forward to hearing about everyone’s project. I am so happy for all of us that we have made it this far in the program. This is no small feat. We should all be proud and give ourselves a pat on the back for having made it this far.

A little bit about myself. My name is Bryson Rivera. I currently live in Los Angeles County. I graduated with a degree in Political Science at Cal State Long Beach back in 2020. 2020 was a rough year for all of us, but one good thing is it gave me an opportunity to think what I want to do with my life. Right before I graduated I was working at a law firm as a legal intern. I was not the biggest fan of the work to say the least. The idea of studying for the bar and going to law school no longer peaked my interest. I asked myself if I can start over what do I wish I can learn no matter how difficult. My first thought was programming. I always had the curiosity, but never actually had the confidence to give it a try.

After picking up some books and trying to code something up for myself, I learned that I really enjoyed the critical thinking and problem solving that was involved with writing programs. After finishing “Python Crash Course” I knew I had to pivot. Via Reddit I found a community of individuals with similar experiences to me. The subreddit gave me confidence that someone like myself could transition from liberal arts to an engineering degree.

I am so happy I made the transition. I love building software programs and working with new technology. I recently finished a SWE internship at Okta. I had a great experience learning from senior developers and working on my project. Definitely a different feeling than my internship at my first degree. I accepted a return offer to return back in January and I could not be more excited.

To celebrate I got myself a puppy. His name is Kiko. Here is a picture of him playing with his toy.

I wish everyone the best of luck this quarter. We got this!

One response to “Hello world!”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.