Methods for Contacting Librarians

I chose to contact the Oregon State University Library for research on Hedy Lamarr in hopes that I would find more resources that I may not have thought of before. I played around with two different methods when it came to contacting the library.

The first method was the online chat. It is located on the Oregon State University Library website and has a schedule of hours that let you know when the chat sessions are available. This was my favorite form of contact. The librarian was quick to respond to my first chat call and gave me useful information all within 10 minutes.

The second method was contacting a librarian through text message. You basically are given a number to text and you start your first text using the word BEAVS. I found this method to be more for general information on the library itself (for example, library hours and scheduling private quiet rooms).

I chose to not email a librarian for information only because I am usually someone who needs information on the spot. Emailing to me can be considered snail mail and I don’t want to have to wait around for simple answers that can be answered my the methods I mentioned above or by even a phone call.