The American Evaluation Association will celebrate the 25th anniversary of its founding in 2011.  Seems like a really good reason to declare 2011 the Year of Evaluation.  Consider it declared!

What can you do to celebrate the Year of Evaluation?  Here are a few suggestions that could be made into New Year’s Resolutions:

All kidding aside–below is a list of evaluation related suggestions that could be made into resolutions.

1. Post a comment to this blog–a comment can be a question, an idea, an experience, or a thought…the idea is to get a conversation going;
  2. Consult with an evaluation specialist about an evaluation question;
  3. Join the American Evaluation Association–its a great resource and it is inexpensive–$80.00 for full members; $30.00 for students;
  4. Use your evaluation findings for something other than reporting your accountability;
  5. Read an evaluation reference–a thread on the AEA LinkedIn site recently asked for the top five evaluation references (I’ve added the link).
  6. Explore a facet of evaluation that you have not used before…always go to a survey to gather your data?  Try focus groups…always use quantitative approaches?  Try qualitative approaches?

Just some ideas–my resolution you ask??  I’ll  continue to blog weekly–please join me!

Happy New Year!

2 thoughts on “New Year’s Resolutions for 2011

1. Salaam Professor Engle,
    Thanks for your year resolution! Same you I think every day is the time of evaluation & and was the time of it! You wrote in last post about the theme for Evaluation 2011 put forth by incoming AEA President, Jennifer Greene, is Values and Valuing in Evaluation. Please more write about this theme in her views and in your views in this blog. Hope you start New Year with your pretty two daughters very well.
    I have a gift for this start for your family below:
    “Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” ~Lao Tzu
    Happy New Year All
    Moein

2. Because you referenced AEA, I hope others would think to add a resolution of sharing a bit of their expertise through the aea365 tip-a-day alerts. Contact me to cross this off your list!