Volunteer Spotlight: Sam

Baker. Chemist. Friend. Kind. Giving. This is my best friend Sam. Friendships forged early in life can last a lifetime. I met Sam in 2006 at North Carolina State University. We rushed the same national honors fraternity. I gravitated towards her because she was kind, genuine, and had an infectious laugh. I admired how generous […]

February 19, 2020

Baker. Chemist. Friend. Kind. Giving.

Sam hiking on volcanic rock in Deschutes County.

This is my best friend Sam. Friendships forged early in life can last a lifetime. I met Sam in 2006 at North Carolina State University. We rushed the same national honors fraternity. I gravitated towards her because she was kind, genuine, and had an infectious laugh. I admired how generous Sam was of her time. She was the first person to volunteer to mentor the upcoming group of sophomores rushing our fraternity. And she was always the last person to leave any event – always making sure people had help cleaning up and getting home.

After we graduated college in 2009, Sam moved to Portland, Oregon to start her career at Nike. Fate brought us back together when I moved to Portland six years later.

Sam is my best friend. She is a dedicated 4-H volunteer who thrives when inspiring teens with her story. Please help me wish Sam the best of luck as she embarks in her next chapter in life! Sam is moving back to North Carolina this summer for a new career with Hohenstein Institute of America and pursue her passion for midwifery. 

TAGS:

CATEGORIES: Volunteer Spotlight