Baked Eggs

Nora says "yum!" to baked eggs.

Nora has enjoyed baked eggs on 2 occasions, which qualifies for a recipe post.

I’ve seen lots of baked eggs recipes–and they don’t even need to be modified for Nora! I make 3 portions at a time for the boys too (I can’t eat eggs, so I’m the one with the alternative meal on these nights). Next time I will crack 2 eggs into Ted’s cup for a larger portion. You could also throw in a bit of veggies, salmon, or vary the cheese option to your taste, although within the acceptable ranges for someone on the keto diet. Also be aware of the egg size that you are using. The nutrition facts here assume a large egg.

Nutrition analysis for baked eggs from caloriecount.com

Baked Eggs
1 egg
1 Tbsp heavy cream
7 g grated cheddar cheese
pinch of thyme

Lightly grease a small ovenproof ceramic dish or ramekin with butter. Pour in 1/2 Tbsp of cream, sprinkle in 1/2 of the cheddar cheese and a dash of thyme. Crack the egg into the dish, and top with the remaining 1/2 T heavy cream, cheese, and sprinkle again with thyme and salt or pepper to taste.

While preparing the egg cups, boil a teapot of water and preheat the oven to 375ยบ F. In a large heatproof pan (I use my glass cake pan), put in the egg cups and place in the oven. Then pour the water from the teapot into the large pan, surrounding the egg cups (I don’t like to risk sloshing or dropping a heavy pan full of hot water). Bake for 10-14 minutes, depending on how firm you like your egg yolks. When finished, I take the ramekins out with a big tongs first and cool a bit, then take the pan of hot water out of the oven later. Safety first!

For dinner, Nora had her baked egg, an 1/8 of her high-protein, high-fiber tortilla with 2 tsp of double cream cheese mixed with 1 tsp of ground flax and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and 21 g of red pepper.

This entry was posted in Recipes by Christy Anderson Brekken. Bookmark the permalink.

About Christy Anderson Brekken

In no particular order... Instructor and Researcher, Department of Applied Economics, Oregon State University. Educational background: University of MN Law School, 2005. MS in Ag and Resource Economics, Oregon State University, 2011. Teaches: Agricultural Law, Environmental Law. Mother: brilliant 9 year old boy; brilliant 6 year old girl with benign myoclonic epilepsy on a modified ketogenic diet therapy. Married to: Ted Brekken, OSU Department of Electrical Engineering. Ride: Xtra-cycle Edgerunner with kid seat; 400-pound cargo capacity. Grew up: Devils Lake, ND. Lived in: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, Pohang, South Korea, Trondheim, Norway, Corvallis, OR. Interests: Cooking, knitting, eating, yoga, laughing, hiking, traveling, staying sane.

5 thoughts on “Baked Eggs

1. This recipe looks great! I run a website about ketogenic dieting, albeit for weight loss purposes, which is why I stumbled across this blog post of yours. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck to you and Nora. She is adorable!

2. Hi there,

I have been perusing your recipes list. We just started on MAD for my son who was recently diagnosed with myoclonic astatic epilepsy. We’ve tried several medications and they haven’t helped. Your site is a great resource. Anyway, I write because this recipe reminded me of a Japanese steamed egg dish called chawanmushi. I’ve been looking at the recipes online and I think they can work for MAD, and wanted to drop a note. It’s very delicious. Again, thanks for all of this information.

Pam

• Hi Pam, I am glad that you are liking our recipes. I will warn you that newer ones are better than older, but you can’t go wrong when a recipe is based on Julia Child, like this one ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m going to look up that Japanese dish too.

We started out on MAD and found that it helped, but moved toward higher ratios because Nora just kept getting better with it. Leave options open for yourself, and most of all be kind and easy on yourself. It’s a hard road for a parent and you have to be able to reserve some energy because it is a marathon, not a sprint.

Now that Nora is 2+ years seizure free we are almost back to MAD. I will probably be posting more MAD-specific recipes again soon. I encourage you to try the granola, and feel free to cut back on the coconut oil and macadamia nuts to reduce the ratio if you like, because you don’t need 2:1 for MAD unless you are pairing it with very low-fat yogurt/milk or lots of fruit. I did that for Nora’s last week because she eats it with full fat greek yogurt (1.25:1 ratio already) and it’s still great!

Christy