Why I got Interested in Computer Science

I first got interested in computer science during my first degree as a biology student. I took a class on bioinformatics where we used open-source software to process genomic data. The material focused on scripting and making Linux shells. While we didn’t write software ourselves, I found it a very powerful experience.  

In some capacity I hope to still be able to use biology and to also use computer science. As a current resident of King County, there are a lot of interesting biotech companies that have a heavy reliance on computer science. In particular, I have seen an opening for a computer scientist at Fred Hutch, which is a cancer research and care center in Seattle. I’m hopeful that my two different knowledge bases could give me an edge at a computer science career that still has biological aspects. However, I have been searching the job market and there are other interesting career choices I could make. Boeing, Microsoft, and SpaceX all perpetually have entry-level software development positions they are hiring for. 

One response to “Why I got Interested in Computer Science”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.