Week 6 – Training

From my experience the day I start a new job I feel nervous. My mind usually thinks of every possible outcome good or bad that the first day will bring. In the end I always survive and the job ends up being completely different than expected. Although all the experiences have varied I believe training/onboarding play a huge part in how successful I was at each job.

One example of a good experience was starting a fast food job. Training started with a basic overview of the employee handbook and instructions on how to navigate the employee system. This took around an hour and I was continually encouraged that this information would be hard to retain but that I would have support until I got the hang of things. Then I was stationed at one of the 3 work stations where I was mentored by an “expert”. I did each station for an hour at a time until my shift ended. I was tired at the end of the day but learned a lot and made friends as I worked with many employees. The hands on style of training with a mentor really worked well for me. Reminding me of the new training being implemented at UPS to better suit the generation Y employees in the article “The Making of a UPS Driver”. Overall, the training I received at this job brought me up to speed on required skills quickly. Focused on hands-on training and group-building. Helping me feel comfortable enough to ask questions and also providing feedback by tracking my progress.

Not all jobs have been such a good experience when it comes to training/onboarding. I landed a summer job in high school at a packaging facility. From the moment I arrived on the first day I felt overwhelmed. I had no idea where to go and had to ask around until a stranger was kind enough to show me to a managers office. I could tell that the manager was extremely busy, they handed me my safety equipment and then lead me to a computer. I spent the next six hours on that computer going through their onboarding and training. When I finished there was no one around so I waited until the manager returned where he then took me to the floor and put me on the line. The machinery was so loud there was no way to communicate except by hand gestures. Not only did I feel uncomfortable, the actual job was a lot different than the video/computer training and no one took much time to help me. Over the next few weeks was able to learn the job and make friends in the lunch room. However, this experience was much worse than any other as far starting a new position.

Comparing both both experiences with the materials from this week these outcomes make sense. The first job provided me with information and support that produced results. Furthermore, I felt comfortable and made friends quickly. I felt like a part of the team within the first few days of starting. I was even able to see how my performance at each task improved as I progressed. Unlike my second example where I felt like I was just in the way and had no way to get feedback. Eventually I was able to figure things out and make friends that taught me but it took a lot longer and the job was not any more technical. I saw a few new employees leave after a week or even two days after starting. Further highlighting the importance of good onboarding/training practices for new employees. The cost of high turnover and slow learning curve was likely really high. I believe that with a little time and effort that a better system could be set in place for new hire training. Resulting in outcomes that more closely resemble my experience with the fast food job.