Week 9; Stress Management

Working a high-stress and demanding job for the past two years has really brought me around to understanding the important role employee health interacts with job performance and company results. Especially in the healthcare community, many entry-level/frontline positions are overworked, underpaid, and constantly suffering from burnout similar to that seen in the labor sector (lumbar issues, sleep deprivation symptoms, high-stress injuries). This week we were exposed to a few tests, which showed me a little bit about myself.

The Holmes-Rahe life stress inventory” (Linked here) takes a vague look at your personal situation and creates an overall score. This score is supposed to determine what the probability of a major health breakdown happening to me in the future is. With my score, I got the result of “a 50% chance that I will have a breakdown in the next 2 years,” which sounds pretty glum. I can guarantee that the individuals I work with are suffering from higher scores, indicating worse outcomes. While I think there is some validity to this “test” it is obviously flawed in the way it mixes correlation and causation, so I took these results with a grain of salt.

However, companies like the one I work for do need to combat workplace stress more effectively. The first line of intervention in the real world is monetary modes, giving people raises and bonuses. Something peculiar that my employer is doing is offering special benefits for employees like massage clinics, catered events, and special deals at local venues that aimed to improve the time that healthcare staff has at work and outside of work.

As far as personally managing the stress that comes with work, recognizing that it is ultimately not a huge deal if I miss a deadline, mess up a purchase order, or bill the wrong account, has surely saved me heartache. Knowing that at entry-level positions, every problem will give you a major advantage over the stress that you will face.