Week 5 Post

Hiring is one of the largest struggles of being in a management role in my career so far. I was never good at public speaking or anything related to it, got nervous very easily, and even had poor performance when it came to previous interviews I did before my current position. However, being on the opposite side of the hiring process than I was used to offered me a new perspective! Knowing what I wished the interviewer would have done to make me feel more comfortable is what I strive to do every time I have a candidate make it to the interview stage. Getting a candidate to be comfortable is the best chance you have at getting candid, honest answers from them. Whether that is making it informal, joking around, targeting specific questions, or making the interview more of a conversation instead of a Q&A, the overall goal is to operate with whatever you sense is best received by the candidate.

Adding onto that, more structural tips I have learned from exposure and this week’s lectures would be knowing the position you are hiring for. In order to stereotype great candidates, a hiring manager needs to know what to look for in interviewees. Building a template of questions and answers to ask per position is a great way to tailor candidate selection as well as deselect bias that might be involved. If the hiring managers are all agreed on what a good or bad answer is then there can be clear benchmarks to measure everyone on regardless of possible bias involved. This also allows you to use the questions throughout the life of the specific job description as it will be applicable.

All in all, avoiding snap judgments, spacing out interviews to remove contrast effect, making applicants comfortable, and building a structural flow to the pre-interview steps are all great tools to make an interview effective.