Week 8 Blog

After taking the health and stress tests, I learned that while I’ve had a relatively low life change, I scored very low on problem-focused coping for stress and moderate for impatience and irritability. This tells me that even though I’m not very susceptible to a stress-induced health breakdown, for the stress I do have in my life, I don’t have good methods for dealing with it. I thankfully don’t rank too highly on irritation and impatience, but having more than a low score for that plus not having good coping mechanisms, means that I need to start changing how I manage my stress.

I think the biggest step I can take to help manage stress as I progress through my professional career is to find ways to cope with stress. Whether it be seeking out professional help, learning relaxation techniques, starting an exercise regimen, or setting calm and attainable goals, I need to start implementing stress coping tools into my life. Starting now will give me a head start to being able to understand and deal with any stress or irritation that might arise when I join the working world full-time after college.

One of the main things multiple organizations are doing to help their employees manage their stress is providing training sessions that offer ways to learn the signs of stress, how to interrupt the behaviors that lead to stress, different coping methods, and ways to organize their time that reduces stress. A few companies are even doing things like allowing more permanent work from home, set time to stretch and decompress together, and increasing personal time people have away from work.