Week 1 Blog

The companies I decided to look at were Nugget Markets, The Cheesecake Factory, and Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.  One thing all three companies share in common is that they have a strong organizational culture that focuses on a sense of family and community within their brands.  All the employee comments mentioned how the companies were supportive of everyone, took care of their employees, and showed that they really cared about everyone that worked for them.  

I’d like to be the type of manager that knows their employees, is friends with them, and is able to help them grow to succeed in the areas that they are best suited to.  The best way I can describe the type of manager I want to be is to say that I want to be like Michael, from the textbook, where his employees respect him, trust him, and can still have a working friendship with him.  Who wouldn’t want to be a manager like Michael?  

I think the part of a manager’s job that is the most challenging is the actual act of working and managing so many different people.  No employee is like the other, they all want and need to be treated differently, and yet treating them all the same is the easiest thing to do.  And I think that’s the real challenge: figuring out how to be fair while still being able to give everyone the attention they deserve.  Some people will be difficult, some will need lots of direction, some will feel like the easiest person to manage, and yet they all will want to receive the same amount of effort from their manager.  

Citation: Buckingham, Marcus, and Curt W Coffman. First, Break All the Rules : What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently, Gallup Press, 2014. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/osu/detail.action?docID=1584214.

One response to “Week 1 Blog”

1. Hi, this is a comment.