Job Descriptions

Sean Hochman

7-15-2020

Job descriptions are essential for companies. They allow people to understand what they are required to do within a specific role. It is a summary of the tasks performed in a specific job. It outlines the work and responsibilities of a person employed in that job. Each job has a different job description. Job descriptions change, some more frequently than others. Job descriptions are very useful, but not all jobs have them. There are a lot of challenges when it comes to job descriptions, but they are very important to have. 

It is important to keep job descriptions up to date. As a company changes, the tasks in each position may also change. Job descriptions always need to be correct and reliable.

Sometimes, jobs don’t have job descriptions. This has the potential to cause a lot of problems. In my experience, I ended up leaving a job because of this.

A little while ago, I worked at a small family-owned restaurant. Overall, I enjoyed working there, however, it had its challenges. The owners were not from the US, so there was a communication barrier between them and me. When I got hired, I didn’t get anything like a job description. It was just a cooking job, and my friend got me the job. He vouched for me, and they knew I had experience. They had me get started right away. At the time, I didn’t see an issue with it. I expected the job to be similar to the one I already had at the time. However, it was very different. I had a very hard time figuring everything out. I didn’t exactly know what they wanted from me. I didn’t understand how they wanted things done. I did my best to do good work, but I was never able to do it right. The longer I worked there, the worse it got. They could not communicate what they wanted from me, and I could not figure it out. This ended up causing a lot of frustration for all of us. Eventually, I had to leave, there was nothing I could do. If only there was a job description I could have referred to, this problem may have never happened.