Week 4 Post – Challenges in Changing Job Descriptions & How to Overcome Them

I have only ever worked a few jobs, some minimum wage service jobs, and this summer as an event planner’s assistant. I have worked at a golf course in many different positions and now work at Pollen in Corvallis. This summer was different from either of these jobs because it was not a service job and was something I could see myself doing out of college as well. With that being said the job description for all of these jobs I’ve had are extremely different. 

I am someone who enjoys structure with freedom. What I mean by this is a job description is a structure that is given but then when I am given freedom to do my job, I appreciate that trust. That trust is something that is earned to interpret the situation case by case, but it does not come with the job description. 

In my first job my description changed rapidly as I continued to do better work, I gained more responsibility and with that came new job descriptions. However, as this was a good thing it got ore stressful and challenging to balance the difference roles. With any job when your job description changes, this was an easy job to learn the new tasks. Moving forward into my professional career this will not be as easy, it may take me longer to adjust to a change in my job description. I believe that it can be easy to maintain however given the correct tools and support. 

In the simulation it is interesting to see how things change based on our teams’ decisions to do one thing or another, because this will be real life. A job will depend on your decisions as your role in the company. Challenges come into play when these decisions pile up to negatively reflect your job description. However, I believe that if I have a growth mindset I can continue to adapt to whatever changes may come my way. 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.