Painting A Picture Of Compensation

In the summer after my Freshman year, I started working at a painting company. The next summer, I knew I was losing motivation to continue the job, the pay was good and the hours were consistent, but the physical toll it took on my body was almost becoming too much for me to handle. At the end of that second summer I was definitely thinking about not returning the next summer. In the winter of the next year my boss called me and asked me how I was feeling about coming back to work at the end of the school year. I was hesitant at first, but my boss explained to me that I was performing much better than the other employees, and he wanted to give me more responsibility. I was open to this idea, but I wanted to see how much of a raise I would get if I accepted the offer. Not only would he have raised my pay by 3 dollars an hour, but he would offer me side work that would pay higher per hour than regular painting. I took stock of my position, I had worked there for two previous summers and invested a lot of time into becoming a good painter, so I had the technical skill needed. I could have gone out and found something else, but I would have to start all over. I decided to stick with the job for another summer, and increased compensation definitely factored into my decision.