Week 2 – Experiences with Discrimination

For me this is a loaded question. There are a lot of factors that go into important decisions such as where you work and companies you use. There is also a fine line between companies you use to support them versus companies you use because you have to do business with them. In regards to the way I feel about a company after a situation like this, I would definitely change the way I feel. I feel like this should be a no-brainer. You can change the way you feel about a company but it doesn’t have to change anything. 

Do I think it would change the way I support the company, yes. This is a tough question because you might not be able to stop supporting the company. Supporting in a way such as buying their products might not be able to change. For example medicine. You might require a certain medication but only one company sells it. You might not want to support the company but you have to in order to get that medication. 

This is another difficult question for me to answer. As far as applying to a company that is discriminating towards a group you identify with would be a no from me. Where it gets difficult is if they were to offer you a job what would you do? Depending on my financial situation and the offer they gave me it might be a hard choice. They might give you an offer you can’t refuse. In this situation you can stay till you find a replacement job. 

Overall this is a tough topic because there are so many what ifs or complications that go into decisions that could change your life. 

2 responses to “Week 2 – Experiences with Discrimination”

1. Hi Nicholas. I enjoyed reading your post. You brought up a good balance of points on why this is a complicated scenario- some of which I had not considered. I particularly thought your example on if the article about discrimination was at a medical company, and they were the only ones that produced a medicine you needed, how does anyone handle that? Great point.

2. Hi Nicholas,

Very insightful post. You brought up some ideas I hadn’t thought of myself, such as the need for people to do business with particular companies because they are the only sellers of the desired product. I also agree that it would be a difficult decision to turn down a very good offer from your favorite company, even if they were found to be discriminatory. I would also like to add that the amount of companies with perfect reputations is declining very fast. Almost every large company has been exposed doing something wrong. Now, the game might just be deciding which companies are more wrong than others.
    Great Job!