Week 4: Critiquing a Recruitment Ad

When talking to prospective employers I like to brand myself as willing to try or learn anything. Like most college students who haven’t started a career in their chosen field yet, I am just trying to gain experience any way I can. So when I met with employers I list what I do have experience in and always emphasize that I want to learn new things. I never want to back myself in a corner and limit my opportunities because of inexperience. Before I started college I found it hard to find entry level jobs that actually wanted to spend the time to train someone with little experience.

If I was to present myself in a novel I would list some of the things I picked up doing in my past jobs that were not originally a part of my job. For instance I was a client success manager last summer for an investment firm in Portland. My job primarily dealt with answering customer emails or phone calls and ensuring their accounts were up to date and in order. After doing that for a month I was assigned a task one day to download video editing software and to learn how to use it. I am not tech savvy but I learned how to use the software from watching some videos and edited a video of one of the investment advisors delivering information for a client. For an ad I would create and edit a video utilizing what I learned to get the point across. I think that a video emphasizing a skill that I had to learn in a job position that you wouldn’t necessarily think would require that skill would be a good way to showcase my brand. I never want to oversell my skills and not be able to perform to the level expected. I would rather advertise that I am willing to try anything even if it’s something that I have never done before.

4 responses to “Week 4: Critiquing a Recruitment Ad”

1. Mckenzie Myers Avatar
    Mckenzie Myers

Hi Kaitlin,

I like your idea of using your skillset in this way. I could imagine a really effective use of your video editing skills could be creating a video, posting it online, and linking to it via a QR code within your resume.

2. Hi! I agree that as a college graduate or soon to be college graduate the best thing to promote about yourself is a willingness to learn. This was also on of my main points in my post. Generally we lack the actual applied skills that we learn during our degree but being able to show that you are eager to learn is a great thing. I think is can also help you find a company what is willing to invest into you as an employee, help you learn and grow within a company. I also agree that not overselling yourself is important, I have seen people that talked themselves into positions that they were not fully qualified for and than were not able to meet expectations. I do think that adding that you have base knowledge in an area can be beneficial as long as you let the employer know where you knowledge of an area ends.
    Thank you for sharing!

3. Nate Shuster Avatar
    Nate Shuster

Hello there! I agree that it is a great idea to highlight your learning and experience ambitions. As a college student close to graduation, I always search for career experiences to further enhance my resume and knowledge. Your idea for an advertisement is also solid, and could be tailored depending on the type of application or employer! Great work and have a good one.

4. Natalie Maurer Avatar
    Natalie Maurer

Hi Kaitlin,
    I like your openness when it comes to trying new things at work. It is definitely a good skill to have and can help make you a more appealling candidate for a job. I also definitely agree that the internet can be very useful for learning new skills or ideas.