Week 1 – Job Application Experience

The last two jobs I have worked I have been lucky enough to have an inside connection to get me an interview immediately. That took some of the pressure off of me when it came to interviewing because I was able to speak confidently about what I did know and had experience in as well as what I didn’t know and would need changing on. For the job I worked over this last summer I sent in an application with the basic information; name, education, work experience. From there I met with the two owners of the business and discussed what I had done at my previous role, what I had learned in school, customer relations skills and areas I hadn’t had much experience in. They asked me a few scenario based questions where I could say yes I have experienced something similar or no I haven’t so here is what I would do.

The experience of my interview made me more comfortable in going into my role because there were clear expectations on what I was already able to do and what they would need to train me on. In past jobs where I did not have that friend of a friend connection I did not feel as comfortable sharing my weaknesses in fear of not getting hired. During this interview they actually celebrated my lack of knowledge in certain areas because it meant that they wouldn’t have to retrain me from doing something another companies way. The optimism and willingness regarding training was refreshing compared to prior jobs that seemed frustrated when they had to show you something.

One response to “Week 1 – Job Application Experience”

1. Sarah Ginney Avatar
    Sarah Ginney

Hi Kaitlin,
    It is always so nice to apply places where you have someone on the inside to put in a good word for you. Networking and building relationships with people is such a great way to get jobs and see what’s out there, so congrats!

I’m glad you also had a good interview experience! Feeling comfortable in an interview is hard to do and it is great that you were able to show who you really out and communicate what you bring to the table. If I was told that a certain lack of experience would be a good thing in an interview, it would be incredibly reassuring. It’s great that your interviewers had that perspective going into the interview and it shows a lot about the company culture that they are looking for coachable employees!

Thanks for your post,
    Sarah