Job Descriptions

One of the last jobs that I had was for Jerry’s Home Improvement. The specific department that I was interested in was the lumber yard, as it boasted a higher starting wage than any of the other departments that I was qualified to apply for. The job description itself had nothing to do with me applying, instead, I made my decision to work here because I had friends who already worked there and found it to be both a pleasant experience with lots of room to build new skills and experience in the retail space. I did look at the job description to get a better idea of what I would be doing, but at that point I had more or less made up my mind to apply, and in my experience (and the experiences of some of my friends), job descriptions can sometimes be a somewhat inaccurate representation of what the job actually entails.

As it turns out, the job description for this position was fairly realistic, and covered both the tasks and requirements (personality traits required and physical abilities mainly), very accurately. These requirements were truly necessary to succeed in the lumber yard, and on a daily basis I found myself using these skills. There is one part in the job description that is a bit ambiguous, being “other duties as assigned.” It would have been nice had they included what these other duties may be, but I understand from a managerial perspective why one may include this in their job description. In the event that something arises that needs to be handled, the workers will still be responsible to work to solve it, even though it is not specifically listed in the description of their job.

Ultimately, I feel like the job description was an almost perfect representation of the job itself. It covered everything from the tasks themselves to the potential weather conditions a worker may be subjected to. While I chose this job because of friends that had good experiences in it, I would have been satisfied with choosing to work here even if I would have chosen it based on the job description. What is listed in the description is what I did, and in my experience, there was absolutely no deviation from the written tasks and requirements. The HR team at Jerry’s did a great job making sure their job descriptions were a good match to the job themselves, leaving no surprises for the employees.

Job Description (lensa.com):
https://lensa.com/lumber-yard-loader-jobs/eugene/jd/62e3ee51a08b117a2c43b29c9e4e42d9