Most Important Thing You’ve Learned

After learning about the effect that job descriptions have on the entirety of how a person can be successful in a job I have really found an appreciation for them and the effort that goes into developing them. I used to look at a job description and I would think that they probably just had a supervisor write down what was expected of a person in that position and then put it in a readable format that was easy to follow. Now I know that there is a variety of ways to go about developing a strong job description. Not only do they take the feedback of those who have been in the position and their supervisors, but they also have people who observe the position to pick up on the little things that an employee might do that seem like a basic day-to-day tasks. In terms of how you structure the job description is also a science. Make sure that each task is on its own line and keep the wording simple so people can understand it. Also, make sure that each task is actionable and not something that is relational to values. Lastly, the main and arguable most important part of the job description is the job title. It has to be consistent with similar roles yet still reflect the pay range for the position and draw people in to apply.

Then once this job description is written and reviewed, people read it to get an idea of what the job entails and what is going to be expected of them. When someone has clear expectations then they know what is expected of them and how to go over and above what the expectations are as well. This is not only extremely useful in my personal life but also in everyone’s lives.