Job Descriptions

The last job that I applied for that I received was an analytics and video internship for OSU Baseball. Before I applied for this job I had almost little to no experience in the analytics side of baseball, at first glance I thought I was highly underqualified. But as I read through the job description I found that baseball knowledge was only preferred not required. I also discovered that many of the skills they required for that position were all skills that I had. I didn’t necessarily need to be an expert in baseball analytics. Now after being in the position for at least 6 months, I now know that having baseball knowledge definitely helps a lot, but it doesn’t completely keep you from doing your job. You also have a tremendous amount of opportunity to learn on the job if you are open to it. Which is what the job description also emphasizes. Most of the skills that were needed were ones that I already possessed, for example, a self-starter, Microsoft office, professionalism, and communication to name a few. I have used all these skills in my time with the program and ended up being very successful in the position and finding the job that I want to do for the rest of my life. Even though the job description was small in comparison to most jobs it made me think that I had a chance at the job even though I was very doubtful of my experience and skills to do the job proficiently at the time.