Workplace Stress

My Stress Survey Results

After taking the stress surveys, I learned that I currently have relatively low to mild stress levels and I’m a somewhat impatient individual. For the Stress Life Inventory test I scored 118, which corresponds to a low susceptibility to experience stress-induced health breakdowns. In the Coping and Stress Management Skills test I scored 24 on a scale of 0-100. My result indicates that I rarely use problem-focused strategies to cope with stress, which would be beneficial to use so that I can try to modify the stressor. In the Type A Personality Survey I scored a 35 (on a scale of 0-100) in terms of impatience and irritability. Lately I have noticed that I’m somewhat an impatient person, so this survey reaffirmed my suspicions. I don’t have Type A Personality Behavior, but I can get impatient and annoyed with others. It’s something that I’m aware of and can try to minimize as much as possible.

Future Steps to Manage Stress

In my future career, it’s important that I take appropriate steps to manage my stress levels to avoid burnout, exhaustion, or even depersonalization (Swift, 2021). I can ask for extended deadlines so that I’m not rushing and I can reduce distractions so that I can fully concentrate on my work. Currently when I’m stressed, I engaged in physical activity to clear my mind. This approach is known to be helpful when managing workplace stress, as well (Swift, 2021).

What are Organizations Doing to Help Stressed Employees?

Many organizations utilize different tactics to reduce negative stress among their employees. Some organizations conduct wellness trainings to increase employee awareness about signs of stress, develop plans to minimize stressors, and to teach employees ways to cope with their stress (Wilkie, 2020). Some employers send out therapy and support group resources, some encourage interactive break rooms where employees can develop relationships with their coworkers, and some employers focus on sensory stimulation (Alton, 2016). It has been proven that abstract art and soft background music can make employees feel comfortable, encourage concentration, and make employees feel less tired (Alton, 2016). When organizations are aware that their employees are stressed, it’s important they address these concerns to avoid high turnover and grievances.

References

Alton, Larry. (2016). How Today’s Young Businesses Are Helping Employees Cope With Stress. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryalton/2016/12/07/how-todays-young-businesses-are-helping-employees-cope-with-stress/?sh=1643c50124c2

Swift, Michele. (2021). Week 9 Learning Materials: Benefits, Health, and Safety.

Wilkie, Dana. (2020). What Managers Can Do to Ease Workplace Stress. Society of Human Resources Management. Retrieved from https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/employee-relations/pages/how-managers-can-help-stressed-workers-.aspx

1 comment

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.