Racial Climate

I would consider myself a people person that often doesn’t speak up. I don’t have strong opinions and always try and see both sides of a story or situation. I think it is one of my greatest traits but it is also one of my weaknesses because I often believe what everyone tells me. The reason I say this is because this class has opened my eyes to my racial climate and how other people’s opinions have influenced me. Before this class I felt like I was blind to seeing racial bias incidents or looking at myself and seeing ways I was contributing to social injustice. This class has challenged me and prepared me for taking an action to stop racial incidents and understanding the impact racism has on those around me.

In the last ten years my father has reentered my life and I have begun to learn about who he is. My dad grew up in the rural hills of Kentucky where is father worked in a factory and was an alcoholic. My dad has told me that my grandfather didn’t hesitate to use racial slurs or see people of color in a negative light. My dad grew up in a community that saw people of color as violent and dangerous. My dad believes he doesn’t have those same beliefs as my grandfather but this class has allowed me to see the ways my dad doesn’t realize he is contributing to racialization.

Although I don’t think my dad is a terrible person I do think he says racial comments and makes judgements based on someone’s color. I remember when I was in college I was starting to date an African American that I had met in class and I was telling my dad about him and he made a comment about dating someone of color. I was upset and was trying to comprehend how someone could think like that in the 21st century. After taking this class, I question my dad when he makes comments and now don’t hesitate to have uncomfortable conversations with him regarding racism. In the past I hesitated to speak up about my opinions but I am now learning about the privileges I have and I need to use my voice to make a difference. For someone like my dad, he doesn’t mean to contribute to racism because it was what he learned through society but sometimes it takes someone to question what society has taught them to see their own racial biases.

One of my favorite songs growing up was Where is the love? by Black Eyes Peas (2003, Elephunk.) It brings tears to my eyes about the reality of our world and all the pain that people experience. One of these pains is racism and this song now paints a picture of my father and I’s relationship regarding race. The lyric that I connect with most is:

People killin’ people dyin’
Children hurtin’, I hear them cryin’
Can you practice what you preachin’?
Would you turn the other cheek again?
Mama, mama, mama, tell us what the hell is goin’ on
Can’t we all just get along?
Father, father, father help us
Send some guidance from above
‘Cause people got me, got me
Questioning
(Where’s the love)

Although I respect my father our views are very different and I now see how he has contributed to my racial climate. Although this song is about love, I think love can bring people together to create social justice. I think if my father loved all people no matter what and didn’t turn the other cheek than the world would be a better place. Looking at my racial climate allows me to see the ways my racial biases have been shaped and learned. I want to continue to push forward to question what my father has taught me and my own racial biases.

Where is the Love?

Kirkman, J. (2011, August 11). The Black Eyed Peas – Where Is The Love? Retrieved from https://youtu.be/FotCW5OIFZc