About Me

Welcome to my first blog plot! My name is Yaline Sivekumaar, a Computer Science student at Oregon State University. I’m completing my final course this semester and I’m excited to share my journey so far. I’ll like to start off this blog by introducing myself.

Some fun facts

Climbing Mt Fuji. It took 21 hours including sleep.
  • I love travelling! Some of my favorite places I’ve traveled to include Costa Rica, Japan, and China.
  • In Japan, my friends and I hiked Mount Fuji. It took us 21 hours (including sleep time) to reach the summit! Although the sunrise was truly beautiful, I might not do that again.
  • I enjoy digital illustration and have even turned some of my drawings into enamel pins. My favorite things to draw are food and flowers.

How it all began

After graduating from the Science and Business program at the University of Waterloo, I started working as an IT Project Coordinator. I first became interested in programming after hearing the developers on my team discuss their tasks. I was amazed (and a little jealous) that they got to build cool things that would be used by clients throughout the country.

I decided to learn how to code because I too wanted to build cool things! After completing a Python course on edx, I fell in love with programming, especially the problem solving aspect. I wanted a strong grasp of the fundamentals, which led me to enroll in the post baccalaureate Computer Science program at OSU.

In progress

Besides taking the Capstone project, I am also completing an internship during this term. I’m looking forward to sharing my experiences from both perspectives: as a student and software developer intern. Stay tuned for these posts in the coming weeks…