Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu

Effective an Ineffective Training:

May 3rd, 2022

I haven’t had many job training experiences in my life that have gone well or didn’t go well, but I have taken many classes that I have liked and also didn’t like. The one class that has provided me with great experience is BA 260 and the worst class that I have struggled learning in is currently BA 466.

BA 260 is the introduction to entrepreneurship, and it is a class where you come up with your own company and give multiple presentations and pitches to your classmates and then later on you enter a competition with all of the students from the other classes, and you try to get your business to be invested in by different judges. Now, my team didn’t make it past the first round in the competition, but I learned so much from that class about pitching, and it was also one of the best groups I have had for a group project to that degree. We worked great together and they were all such nice people, it made it easy to work with them, and that is very rare when it comes to group projects. From the lecture slides I was relating this class on the importance of training. In the slides, it states that training is important because of the impact on employee performance. I think this class and activity was important because of the real life experience that I have gained from it. I think I will use this in the future, if I ever have the opportunity to create my own business, and get people to invest and buy in. I have learned and trained on what techniques work, and what can be better.

The class that is an absolute disaster right now is BA 466, it is my Capstone class and one of the hardest things I have had to try and learn. I am 6 weeks in and still have no clue what is going on. The teaching is ineffective, and the simulation is based on luck and randomized, so when you go to practice it is different every single time. I wish I could explain the concept, but I show up to class, pay attention, and still I have learned nothing. If this class was structured differently with more guidance, it would be so easy to get through. Right now, I am just getting by and it is rough, I have never experienced such ineffective class structure.