Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu

My Job Description Experience:

April 21st, 2022

I am about to be an OSU grad this spring and the job search has been difficult to say the least. I have had the worst luck and frustration when it comes to the job title and the job description not matching up. I want to be an event planner and when I was searching on Linkedin, I saw a posting for an event coordinator for the city that I was searching for. The job description clearly did not match the title. The title should have been “Event Assistant”. The job description said you have to be on site at all events that you are assisting with and that you are on a one year probation before getting paid. It also said that you don’t work with clients, you work with the people who work with the clients, and you do the paper work.

This is not what an event coordinator does. An event coordinator is a step below an event planner, when someone else is planning the event, and you are helping the client with the process of planning. I was very unhappy and felt like a let down when I saw this posting. I wanted to apply for it if it had a better description. That is where I feel like job descriptions really need to be correct because here I was really excited to apply and then after reading to find out what I would get myself into, I did not want to apply. Companies can lose good candidates if they don’t have their description together or seem organized.