Writing Exercise 11

As I had not completed my rough draft in time to receive a peer review, I missed my opportunity to peer review someone else’s work. However, I have been a part of many peer reviews in the past, although I can’t say many were for review papers like ours. Looking at the guidelines for the review and from my past experience with reviews however, sometimes the experience of peer reviewing someone’s work can be awkward and difficult. Regarding the section on the rubric containing a section on language and wordage used in the paper, this is something that can be quite difficult to review. Although it is easy if someone has made blatant errors in spelling or grammar in their paper, there are times where someone has worded something not quite the way you would have, and you believe that your wordage would better suit the paper, but you are unsure of whether or not to provide that suggestion. That is something that can be a bit of personal preference, and the author of the work could take offense to you suggesting a different line of wording.

There is much to learn from peer reviewing however, and one of the most important is looking at work with fresh eyes. That can be extremely beneficial for all reviews, and it has been proven that having someone else read your papers can help catch errors and mistakes that were not apparent to the author, but are glaringly apparent to the person who is reading it for the first time. This is also why people suggest that you read your papers out loud, as giving voice to your words can make it seem like someone else is reading them, and you catch errors you would not have originally.