The End of the Learning on Command Line – Was Returning To School The Right Move???

Too long, didn’t read answer: YES!!!!!!!

I’ve learned a lot over these 60 credits. From Python to Javascript, I was able to get a taste of these languages at the same level as peers from the physical university but online! This unique opportunity without literally starting back from square one was ideal.

Operating systems, Algorithms, Computer Architecture, Mobile, and even Cloud classes, to list a few, were not available at a Community College. Being able to access the material feels great and it rounded out my education quite well.

Recall from my two blogs on Computer Science vs Bootcamps – continued discussion

At the end of the day, I would still choose this Computer Science degree. In fact, I wish I have known of it much sooner after I graduated from my initial university. That is, instead of searching for a “dead end” low waged compared to software engineering job, I would have learned a lot more in addition to basically having a “double major” without compromising not having any degree at all. That is, if I was unable to finish this computer science degree, I would still have a degree from my initial university for the most part.

Big question – where did I graduate from initially?

UC Berkeley – the school with the infamously difficult yet top programs. I know I would not have done well there because I was far easily distracted back then than I am now because of my age. In fact, graduating from university once was an experience because I did fail a class there.

Anyways, back to OSU

I am not saying that OSU is terrible, I am saying that when I was younger, I would not last at UC Berkeley’s computer science program. Besides, UC Berkeley will only take in first time undergraduates, not second opportunity career change undergraduates. So, I do feel blessed that OSU has this program available and at the convenience of being online!

Online – Online Tutorials?

From what I have learned watching tutorials when I was trying to do Visual Basic coding for Excel in my initial finance career was that you can get stuck in “tutorial hell” where you cannot do much unless you follow a guide or tutorial to the teeth. Because of that, I think that learning these fundamentals by either learning them yourself or at a class setting was the best move. In fact, deadlines provided by the class setting provides a very good structure and motivator to do, learn, and finish the material or else you are penalized.

To elaborate on the penalty, I mean that in the time for exams, you have to know what you are doing or you could fail them. Yes, exams and grades are not the predictor for success in any career, but I am stating that there is some starting point and ending point while you must do something in between the starting and ending points – therefore the class setting structure.

Online tutorials, on the other hand, do not have this type of class structure for the most part. So, you could suddenly stop learning the material midway and perhaps never pick it back up again – which has happened to me regarding a few online tutorials.

The Future

This degree gave me, in my opinion, great fundamentals and verification that I accomplished something. At the end of the day, the degree does hold some power to companies that are looking for people with a software or related degree. At least this could get me bypassed through this check accordingly.

Ultimately, thank you OSU for providing many people who wants to do the school route opportunity!

This entry was posted in Blog, Post 8. Bookmark the permalink.