Job Application Experiences

The last job I applied for was a Marketing and Fan Engagement Intern position for Oregon State Athletics. As someone who hopes to work in the sports industry after graduation, this job was the perfect opportunity to jumpstart my path to my dream career and meet people who may be able to help me along the way. The job description was fairly basic, asking for simple skills such as being able to work in a fast-paced environment and great organization skills. However, because the description was decently broad, I did not have much information on the actual tasks I would be completing. From our readings this week, we learned that this could be an issue when figuring out which prospects to hire, as not having a solid understanding of what is being asked of them may cause prospects to not perform well if eventually hired. Since I was excited and eager to do nearly anything in the realm of sports, this did not majorly affect how I viewed the applicant process and job overall. I ended up being hired for this job, and to my disappointment, many aspects of the internship were changed due to COVID-19 (there is no use for fan engagement if there are no fans at sporting events). Overall, my application process was fairly smooth. My interview went well and gave me a sense of the type of people I may be working with, which made me even more eager to be hired. Although the broad job description somewhat left me in the dark prior to my interview as to exactly what I would be doing, it also made it evident to me that the job would be a great space for learning essential skills that I may not already have. As someone who did not have much marketing experience outside of group projects, that was very attractive to me. Combined with the friendliness of the personnel I met with during my applicant process, this job was very attractive to me, and I believe this eagerness set me up for the success I have had thus far in the role.

3 thoughts on “Job Application Experiences”

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

2. Hi Anna. Thanks for sharing your story. It is very sad that there was no fans for any sports on campus. But I think your job is very interesting and exciting if we have fans. I am working for OSU too, but in a different area. They didn’t provide a lot description neither. I think they just want to give more chance to students, so they are opening the position more broadly. But I like my job too. Go Beavs

3. Hi Anna,
    That’s really cool that you were able to have a marketing internship in the sports industry since that is exactly what you hope to do after college – not everyone gets experience like that! I had a marketing internship in food service a few years ago and it made me realize what I don’t want to do rather than what I do want to do! I also agree that job descriptions that are too broad can cause issues on both sides of recruitment, both for the applicant and the organization. It can lead to applicants misunderstanding what the job is, and it can cause employers to recruit mismatched employees! Great post!