Purina and Mizzou

Purina was way better than I was expecting! I learned so much about the research and development of animal feed. The Equine center had a treadmill for horses which helps them monitor endurance and study the feed diet. The dairy center had a milking parlor set up that allows them to have a cow leave once it is done and have a new come in for milking. As opposed to the traditional style of waiting for the whole side to be down before releasing back to the barn. The companion and small animal center housed their backyard chicken division and soon to be deer enclosure. They had deer feed focused on the protein that enhances their antlers to grow bigger and branch out more. They also have fish feed that helps fish, such as bass, grow bigger and faster during their quick digestion process. Their cattle center was empty when we got there because they just sent their heard off to market. They explained how the research and development works when they do have a full heard to work with and study. I really enjoyed touring their facilities. It definitely peaked my interest and is somewhere I could picture myself working.

To end the day we toured Mizzou’s ag and animal science facilities. It was interesting to see different layouts and operation practices. The best part was their glow-in-the-dark pigs! They use this to signify which pig has the specific gene they are studying. Today was a great day!