Week 10 Blog

Overall, I believe I have learned a lot in this class. Some things I found very interesting included the discrimination section, taking personality and other types of tests as well as how recruiters plan to gain candidates and how they pick and choose who would be best for the company and how they keep them around. However I believe my favorite part of this class was reviewing job descriptions and how they impact whether or not people will apply for the job to how they relate to the actual job. I thought the discussion board where we were to find a job ad that was bad and then critique was fun as well. Something I did not realize is just how much the job title means to people. After learning about that, it made a lot more sense to why this would be something people cared about. I can understand why Dwight from the Office really wanted the title “Assistant Regional Manager” instead of “Assistant to the Regional Manager.” Both are very different things and in real life, that would be something that people do truly care about. I think it is interesting that the title of a position can affect whether people apply for a job, just a simple change can mean night and day for the amount of people that apply for a particular job.

Anyways, I have learned a lot in this class, and has been one of the more interesting classes I have taken at OSU. Thank you Professor Hardy for a great term.