Interview Experiences

While I may not have a ton of job experience, I have completed multiple different interviews throughout my life. Therefore, I not only have a good idea of what to expect in interviews, but I have also had interviews that are good and interviews that were not so great. In one of the most ineffective interviews I had, it was for a restaurant job when I was seventeen, and the interview was quite brief. The factor that made the interview extremely ineffective was the lack of proper questions asked in the interview. Also, the length of the interview was quite brief, making it feel more unprofessional. When it comes to validity, it felt as if any of the claims I made about personal competencies were not matched to the job description. The lack of structure within the interview also demonstrated the lack of reliability within the job, as there was never a proper managerial figure. The only thing that I found effective in that interview, in relation to validity, is telling me more about what they were looking for, and what their business was like. This way, I could further grasp what the environment of the business was, giving me some idea on what to expect after taking job.

An effective interview has the ability to make individuals feel engaged and excited about working for the company, especially in relation to structured interviews. The most effective interview I had was very structured, with a mix of behavioral and situational questions. The structured interview let me know that this business was professional, and it gave me more insight on what the culture of the business was like. The actual questions of the interview were strong, and they gave room to have long answers. All together, effective interviews are defined by reliability, validity, and utility, and focusing on that can allow companies to recruit strong candidates.

Sources Cited:

Lecture 2- Selection