Things Are Coming Along!

Normally I try and do a topic that is more helpful to the world at large, but for today, I just wanted to write about my Capstone Project. For those that don’t know, I’m doing a project for my Capstone course at Oregon State University. It’s a really interesting course. Essentially, we get experience working on a project with a group in a self-guided way. The project choices varied wildly, but I chose to do an escape room game in Unity.

It’s so exciting! I mean, I didn’t have any experience in Unity. But I was excited to try. There have been some ups and downs, especially in the beginning. Definitely some moments of “oh, I’ve made a grave mistake, deciding to choose this project”. But especially lately, I’ve really been enjoying the process and starting to become familiar with Unity. And my partners are great, too. Group projects tend to be challenging, dealing with different personalities and work ethics. I think most people have had bad experiences working with groups. But my group and I really align, and they’re really helpful. So really, I am just free to do my work and keep things progressing.

The halfway point of the term is almost here, but I feel like I’ve really contributed and gotten what I’ve wanted to get done. In the photo above, it shows part of one of my puzzles. The player clicks that picture frame, and it falls, revealing a clue behind (a clue that I made in MS paint)! It’s not the most technically challenging thing to do, but it was one of my first successes, so I’m definitely celebrating. I’ve also decorated the room with props, implemented the transitioning between rooms, created the framework for the rooms, and done some other things here and there.

I’m about to do a bunch of work over the weekend to get the project ready for the midpoint, so I think my next post will be an update on what I’ve gotten done for the midpoint. Hopefully no major issues 🙂