Get To Know Our Staff: Kevin

Name: Kevin Schultz

Pronouns: He/His

HSRC Job Title: Partnerships and Outreach Graduate Teaching Assistant

Major/minor: Master’s in College Student Services Administration

Career Aspirations: I intend to work within higher education, focusing on gender equity, sexual assault/coercion, and male identity development. Where exactly and in what capacity, is yet to be determined.

Why did you want to work at the HSRC? I spent 6 1/2 years with Jackson Street Youth Services, working with youth and young adults facing basic needs insecurity in Linn, Benton, and Lincoln Counties. I could not turn down the chance to continue this work, with students facing similar situations. I also believe that basic needs are a right and when students struggle with them they struggle with succeeding as students. I believe a solid education is the solution to most of the world’s problems, so I was excited to help students achieve that.

What will you be working on? I help supervise our student staff, assist with Poverty Action Week (formerly H&H Week), establish and maintain partnerships with community members from OSU and Corvallis, handle various office responsibilities regarding Champinefu Lodge, recruiting for our Advisory Board, etc.

What do you like to do in your free time? I spend as much time as possible with friends. But I also really enjoy TV and movies as well as playing video games. I try to find time to do homework as well.

What’s your favorite yummy and cheap meal that you like to make? I really like eating chips with tuna fish mixed with black beans and hot sauce. Treating it like a dip. Try it, thank me later.

Do you have any tips for students on how to save money? I grocery shop at WINCO, exclusively. Their bulk section is the best in Corvallis for the price. I try to walk or bike most days and utilize the FREE BUS SERVICE. I also share streaming accounts with friends so we don’t all have to pay for the entertainment.

What are you favorite things to do in Corvallis? I enjoy going to the movies, concerts, and the myriad of local events here in Corvallis.

Where is your favorite spot to relax on campus? I really enjoy the Student Involvement Lounge in the SEC, as well as the library. Also the student lounge in Bexel is quite cozy.

What is your favorite TV show and why? My list is quite long but my absolute favorites: Bob’s Burgers; Queer Eye; Scrubs; Parks and Rec; South Park; Shameless; and American Horror Story. Just to name a few. I really enjoy comedies and very layered dramas.