Training Experiences

I have continuously found myself evaluating the company I work for, Rize Laboratories when writing these blog posts. When I started working there, I knew that they needed help and were willing to do whatever was needed of me. On the first day, we went into a very hands-on mode where I acted as a shadow for another employee and he showed me the main daily process. The employers, as well as my trainer, were keen on emphasizing that every employee should understand our process from start to finish, even if you will only be working for one section of it. We work in virology and toxicology testing, but at the time I was hired for COVID Testing Logistics only. While my job focused almost entirely on the front end, before handing a test over to the Lab Techs, I walked through every step of the process so that I could see the “why” in the work I was doing and allowed me to see the importance of each task. This way, I understood that one little task can have an impact on the whole team accomplishing the bigger picture, and raising my level of job significance. They would then give us some freedom to complete the work personally, with a trainer there to assist a trainee with anything they may need. Lecture 1: Developing Training Programs discusses the idea of implementing analysis within your training programs. Rize is strong in their person/employee analysis, in terms of deciding who still needs additional training, understanding when a sector of employees may be underperforming due to training, etc., and making the proper adjustments.

A far less impressive training that I went through would be the bloodborne pathogens training we had to take for certification at the lab. All you had to do was complete an online course, and take a quiz to show you understood. All that was required was the certificate at the end so it didn’t really matter how well you grasped the information, as long as you passed.