What Good Companies Do Right

When reading through the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® 2020 I found many different themes that spread across other successful companies. Many employees from companies on the list wrote that they felt their employers cared about them, and their well-being. As well as how this inspired them to work for them. This is extremely important because employees are people, and people matter. As Lecture 1 from this week’s learning materials says at 3:51, “Individuals influence an organization’s culture, informal rules, how hard they work, how they treat each other how much risk they take, and more.” The satisfaction of individuals can have a large impact on organizational culture. Human Resource Management is key in establishing a positive environment where employees are taken care of and have a high level of job importance and job satisfaction. One company that stood out to me from the list was No. 8 Stryker, a Manufacturing and Production company from Kalamazoo, MI. At first glance, this seems like it would be a pretty boring job, the article states that employees say, “The leaders have a genuine interest in employees’ engagement and enjoyment of work. I feel all the leaders I have worked for genuinely cared about me and my peers as a person.” Employee engagement is huge for office morale and comes with a bit of strategic planning. You want to find the right fit for people within the organizational strategy, and within their capabilities to reach the organization’s capabilities. (Lecture 2)

As a manager, I would use what I have learned this week, and from these employees to create a good organizational culture that gives individuals freedom. I want them to have the opportunity to take positions with a high task variance if that is what they desire. I believe if people are doing tedious work all of the time, and never switching it up they will lose some engagement and it could impact the quality of work. In cases where there is a large risk with the work, this can create big issues, as well as impact the happiness of individuals.

Works Cited

From MGMT_453 Learning Materials:

Lecture 1 – Importance of HR Management

Lecture 2- Strategic HR Management

Breitfelder, & Dowling, D. W. (2008). Why did we ever go into HR? Harvard Business Review, 86(7-8), 39–.