Chasing a Dream

In 2020, I began my career switch journey when I finally accepted (after five years) that I wasn’t happy working in finance. I realized that life was too short to continue doing something 40+ hours a week that was affecting my mental, as well as physical, health. In addition, my life revolved around quarter-end, which always impacted holiday schedules and restricted spending time with my family. While I was content with my earnings and had an overall successful career, I knew something needed to change.

Attempting to change careers was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to make in my life. I use the word “attempt” because I haven’t actually been successful yet. As someone who struggles with anxiety and self-doubt, I’m still worried about what the future holds.

As I start my last semester here at OSU, I have one final class to complete (capstone) before graduation. I’m thrilled to wrap up this step in the journey, but I know that simply acquiring another degree won’t be what gets me a job in software development—it will be my ability to work with others and ultimately do the job outlined. I have put 100% of myself towards education over the last two years, so I truly believe in myself and my abilities, but there’s always that lingering fear of failure that keeps me awake at night.

While I may be a bit older, or perhaps not as talented than some of the other candidates applying for the same entry level positions, I try to remember that I have years of experience that translate to many desirable traits that employers are looking for. I believe that if I prepare and persevere, I will be successful in the end. Even if it takes me a few years to end up in my “dream job,” I will maintain my positive outlook and focus on how I can improve to get where I want to be.

Having a long-term plan is great, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. I know that I need to secure that first software development position before setting my sights on the end game. With all focus on this goal, I have big plans for myself this semester as I prepare for interviews. I have already created a portfolio website (rhoff.info in case you are curious!), as well as constructed a modular resume that can be quickly and easily edited/tailored for specific job opportunities. I just started a Leetcode premium subscription and plan to work through at least five problems a week, focusing on the Blind 75 list that has been so successful for others. Lastly, I am registered for the career fair in February—fingers crossed it goes well!

I’m not big on the blogging scene, but I must admit this write up has been a great reflection on my journey and has me feeling quite reinvigorated! It’s important to take time to appreciate the effort you put forth, as well as recognize what still needs to be done before you can mark a goal complete. It’s been a long two years, but I’m right at the finish line—time to buckle down, get to work, and finish strong.