How to Acheive​ a Healthy Immune System

With these winter months, I’ve written a few blogs already about great ways to keep yourself healthy with the cold getting closer and closer. Recently, I decided to join a weight loss program, and although this seems off topic, one of the things you have to be very careful about when starting a new regimen is the side effects. When beginning a new diet, I notice that I tend to fall into a sickness – one that mimics a cold and is never severe, but with the world as it is right now, I knew I didn’t want that period. Therefore, I wanted to share a few of the things I have been doing to keep myself up to snuff!

Routine

Sounds pretty basic, right? But truly having a set morning and night routine can really make a difference for our bodies. I make sure to set my alarm for the same time each morning during the week days and also weekends. When I do this, my body will fall into a routine for making me tired, or making me more alert. This is why avoiding going to bed and waking up at different times every day can also improve your overall sleep schedule and patterns. Our bodies begin to anticipate when we are going to do things and if we change this up, our brains may send alerts throughout our body worried something is wrong, when in reality we’re just changing what we normally do – but by doing this, it disrupts our daily patterns. Setting my alarm for the same times helps me stay on track. By the time morning comes, I roll out of bed and I begin my morning with my daily vitamins. I personally like to take vitamin c in the form of a capsule and/or gummy chews. Webmd.com says

“vitamin C is one of the safest and most effective nutrients… the benefits of vitamin C may include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling…”

Don’t Skip!

Because I don’t always feel I am eating the correct amount of fruits or veggies to support myself, its extremely easy and effective taking vitamin c to give the nutrients and antioxidants needed. Once I am done with that I move onto drinking a full glass of water. Now adding lemon definitely has amazing benefits which you can read about here, but just being able to provide your body with water when you first are waking up really helps to refresh your mind and is also beneficial in starting up your metabolism. I also make sure I eat breakfast in the mornings, even if its something small such as over medium eggs (my favorite!) or an English muffin with jam, making sure you start your morning off right by giving fuel to your body that’s been fasting for hours overnight, is crucial. Skipping meals can aid in weight GAIN most of the time, instead of weight loss, and creates an overall imbalance to your system. Betterhealth.gov breaks it down for us stating that

“The body’s energy source is glucose. Glucose is broken down and absorbed from the carbohydrates you eat. The body stores most of its energy as fat. But your body also stores some glucose as glycogen, most of it in your liver, with smaller amounts in your muscles. 

During times of fasting (not eating), such as overnight, the liver breaks down glycogen and releases it into your bloodstream as glucose to keep your blood sugar levels stable. This is especially important for your brain, which relies almost entirely on glucose for energy.

In the morning, after you have gone without food for as long as 12 hours, your glycogen stores are low. Once all of the energy from your glycogen stores is used up, your body starts to break down fatty acids to produce the energy it needs. But without carbohydrate, fatty acids are only partially oxidized, which can reduce your energy levels.

Eating breakfast boosts your energy levels and restores your glycogen levels ready to keep your metabolism up for the day.

Skipping breakfast may seem like a good way to reduce overall energy intake. But research shows that even with a higher intake of energy, breakfast eaters tend to be more physically active in the morning than those who don’t eat until later in the day”.

It even mentions how this can reduce the risk of illness which is exactly what we are hoping to avoid!

Compared with people who don’t have breakfast, those who regularly eat breakfast tend to have a lower risk of both obesity and type 2 diabetes. There is also some evidence that people who don’t have breakfast may be at a higher risk of cardiovascular disease.

Betterhealth.gov

Overall

These little things seem so simple but can be crucial in keeping your body safe from illness and wearing down. Being able to go about your day with energy and class is essential for most of our daily routines. Whether you are working or staying at home, there are numerous activities we participate in that if not for proper support from our bodies or immune system, we wont make it for very long.

A Happy You is a Healthy You