Green Tea… Does it really work?

So many of us enjoy drinking tea. Who wouldn’t? It’s refreshing, sweet, and doesn’t drain everything out of our bodies. It’s hydrating and honestly has been said to be very good for us. If you’re like me, you want to know how, but you’re too lazy to research it… It’s okay, I finally made the trip myself, and I’m here to show what I found!

Delicious tea is all around us, but my main focus is green tea. Mainly because when I was wanting to lose weight and shed a few pounds, I remember briefly coming across comments telling me that green tea aids in weight loss. As much as that’s still interesting to me now, I have become even more intrigued by what else this tea can truly do.

Through Healthline.com, their website stated that,

Green tea is the healthiest beverage on the planet.

Ok, so that caught my attention. But why? The tea leaves contain abundant amounts of important nutrients that aid in protecting our bodies cells, molecules, and reducing free radicals in our system. Found within green tea is the compound Epigallocatechin Gallate, which is shown to battle numerous diseases, such as cancer, and maybe the number one reason why green tea is so potent in its healing and rich properties.

Many people may avoid tea because it doesn’t contain the caffeine that coffee gives, but green tea still is considered a stimulant. But what it does have that coffee does not, is the ability to improve the functions of our brains and memory processes. Green tea contains a powerful amino acid called L-theanine. This amino will

“increase the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, which has anti-anxiety effects. It also increases dopamine and the production of alpha waves in the brain”.

This helps give humans a more natural “buzz” that in the long run will help them be more effective throughout the day and more energized. But, although it is incredibly healthy for you, people who decide to drink it all day long have to also be aware that exercise, diet, and healthy activities will help increase the benefits of green tea, it cannot act alone to heal and improve your body and health. Webmd.com has a Boston nutritionist explain that

“Green tea’s biggest benefit? “It’s all about the catechin content,” says Beth Reardon, RD, a Boston nutritionist. Catechins are antioxidants that fight and may even prevent cell damage. Green tea is not processed much before it’s poured in your cup, so it’s rich in catechins”.

Lowering cholesterol and improving blood flow, green tea became a huge notice for reasearchers and scientists everywhere. In an article written by scholars Sabu M Chacko, Priya T Thambi, Ramadasan Kuttan, and Ikuo Nishigaki,

“The health benefits of green tea for a wide variety of ailments, including different types of cancer, heart disease, and liver disease, were reported”.

So could I be drinking green tea for a long time and see results? My answer would be yes! In their article, Chacko, Thambi, Kuttan, and Nishigaki wrote that

“Long-term consumption of tea catechins could be beneficial against high-fat diet-induced obesity and type II diabetes and could reduce the risk of coronary disease”.

So, as I finish my green tea while typing inside this adorable starnbucks, I think Im going to be leaving here with a great sense of knowledge that I am indeed making healthier options, and will cointue to do so within my life. I want to live a life that is full. I think I know how to do that. Im not going to let anything stoip be from being a healthier version of myself, so that I can be the happiest version of mysefl, every day.