CEOAS Student Blogs

Several talented CEOAS students have their own blogs. Check them out below!

aurelie_3

“Just about every day I am asked something about the ocean. How are the whales doing? What is climate change going to do to the ocean? Can I keep eating tuna? Do you dive? How does an ocean model work? What’s the Coriolis force? What is it like to be an oceanographer? What causes El Niño? Are coral reefs dying?  Why do you do what you do? If I am not asked about the ocean, I read inaccurate or wrong statements about the ocean in this interminable quest to sensationalize simple facts or debunk climate change.
With this blog, I hope to:

1. share with you my passion of the ocean, how it works, who lives in it and how well it is doing.
  2. teach you about things I know, or break down peer-reviewed articles I read so that anyone can understand them.
  3. learn from you anything ocean-related you would like to share.
  4. answer any questions you may have about the ocean. Want to know something? ASK ME ANYTHING! If I can’t answer, I know where to look or who to ask. In any case, I promise an honest and accurate answer, with science-worthy references.
  5. correct wrong or inaccurate statements I read on blogs or in layman press with a scientific proof. If you read something and want to know if this is true, please ask.
  6. show you how the oceans matter to all of us and why we should work on making them healthier.
  7. suggest things you can do to help conserve and protect our oceans, or the environment in a broader sense.”

Aurelie would be more than happy to write posts about papers being published by CEOAS students to promote their work. Contact her if interested!

veilleux

“Oregon State University Geography PhD Student, Jennifer Veilleux, records her fieldwork, research, and thoughts about transboundary water resources development in the Nile River and Mekong River basins. Particular attention is given to Ethiopia’s Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam and Laos’ Xayaburi Dam.”

einolf

“Allison Einolf is a doctoral student in Physical Oceanography at Oregon State University studying with Emily Schroyer. She is interested in all things arctic and got her start blogging at Icy Seas during a summer internship with Andreas Muenchow at the University of Delaware.”