Training and Development

One training that I have had at work that I found to be beneficial was at my job in a tanning salon where our main goal was to sell memberships to customers that came in. The training that we had lasted about the first week of working there. Each day of our first week we would have to give a tour of the salon while trying to sell a membership at the end to our boss. She would randomly ask us throughout the shift to give her a tour without warning even if it was busy and then one final one at the end of the day. She would give us notes on what changed each day and eventually over the course of the week. This training was super helpful because it followed the two design elements that are crucial to developing training, as stated in lecture one, that is meaningful and transfer to the job. It would have been one thing to make us learn all the pricing and info to try to sell memberships, but giving several tours throughout the day without a script or help set us up for success to sell memberships. I gave the most tours during my training than other girls who started at similar times, and I sold more memberships in my first few weeks. Additionally, it transferred so well to our job. Having to do several tours randomly even when it was busy was something that happened daily that I could not control. One training I had that was less effective was at the same job learning how to operate the equipment. We had to work at two locations while working here and I only was trained on how to turn on the music for the whole salon as well as clean the spray tan machine at one location. when I worked my first solo shift at the other I had no idea where the supplies to clean the booth were and the customers had to tan in silence all day. This training did not have a great transfer to my job because it only set me up for success in half my job. Ensuring I was trained on all equipment at both location would have been more beneficial