Employment and Compensation

Several years ago I was working in the banking industry and became dissatisfied with my work. I spoke to my direct manager about this, but because I had not been in this position for a minimum of a year, I was not able to apply for other internal positions. I felt trapped in a job that I was unhappy with so I started to look for employment elsewhere. I recall I applied for a Caregiver position at Providence. The job description was vague, so I didn’t necessarily know what the work would entail. I was invited to participate in a phone interview where I learned more about the position, pay and benefits. A question that was asked was how comfortable I felt having to clean up after elder folks. This included bathing, cleaning them, and changing their undergarments that may have feces. The starting pay for this position was around $12.38. I was stunned to find about how significantly low the job paid for the work required. Accepting this position would mean I would be taking a pay cut of about $5-$6. My current job was fairly simple, it was a desk job where I had to perform collection-like work for past due accounts. This was a drastic change from the type of work I was doing. I didn’t feel that the type of work required was satisfied by the pay they were offering. I declined to move any further in the job application process because I did not want to lose the pay that I had earned through raises and promotions with my employer at that time. The compensation was significantly lower than what I was already getting paid, so I know that I would not have been satisfied here either.